Comfort Through Trials (John 15:17-16:4)
We live in a world where we get discomforted
Jesus is telling of trials coming
Jesus is leaving the world (Acts 17:24)
God loves the world (3:16)
This world’s system is characterized by:
1. the lusts of the flesh
– His Spirit comes to live in me, to make my spirit man stronger than my physical man’s desires (Prov. 27:20 “Death and Destruction are never satisfied, and neither are the eyes of man.”)
2. The pride of life: all about me, my achievements, talk about me, my stuff is bigger and better than your stuff, etc.
Christ’s attitude to the world:
– I’m coming into this world
– gave light to the workd (3:19)
World’s attitude to Christ:
– rejected Him (1:11)
– hated Him (15:18)
World’s attitude to christians
– transferrable from Christ to christians (15:18)
– inexcusable (15:22)
– defensivenes and hostility – just being around non-christians can be a light, I don’t have to say anything and they can sense light and be hostile becuase they feel conviction from the light.
– predictable (16:2)
– inevitable (16:4)
– disciples are chosen by Christ (15:19)
– disciples serve like Christ (15:20)
– disciples teach like Christ (15:20)
– disciples identify with Christ (15:21-22) as christians, we agreed with it, we’ll live by it, and we’ll die by it.
What are we to do?
– don’t forget the Holy Spirit (15:26)
– don’t be intimidated by it (15:27) shine His light where it matters: work, play, wherever I’m at, not just on Sunday mornings.
– don’t be surprised by it (16:1)