– all Israel wanted was the easy way of life
– a crossless Christianity isn’t a Christianity
Sinful rest is connected to laziness, indulgent, and indifference (like not doing something because “it’s not my gift” or “it’s not my passion”)
Israel’s sinful ease was shown:
– Cruelty of men (allowed violence to come near)
– Love of self (Amos 6:4-6)
– Carelessness – people suffering were being neglected
Luke 12:16-21 – God knows our belief systems and our thoughts. If you believe a lie, you can’t believe the truth.
The early church was committed with their lives (Acts 2:42-47)
– ref. the article “The Glory of Plodding” by Kevin DeYoung (http://www.ligonier.org/learn/articles/glory-plodding/)
How do we move from the comfortable to the committed?
1. Commit to preaching daily (to proclaim boldly) – commit to boldness, bold living
2. Commit to love radically
3. Commit to serve sacrificially (it’s not about convenience)
4. Commit to give extravagantly