Guest speaker: Pastor Kirk Bowmen
Lord, make us shine.
– The church is making a shift to be known what we’re for and what God is for instead of what we the church or God is against
– John 3:17 God didn’t come to judge the world but to save it
– God is for you, not against you, He wants to bless you.
– Today it seems like darkness is getting constantly deeper, BUT the church is growing constantly brighter.
How can we shine?
1. We have to rise up – arise
– the word “arise” is in the Bible 156 times
– life can cause us to fall, but we rise up
– Prov. 24:16 – I’m going to live “up” and my attitude will be “up”
2. Walk in the light that you already have
– I can live in my light/answers/certainty; or I can live in my darkness/questions/doubt
3. Carry the presence of God with us
– The glory of the Lord is with us
– Christians and non-christians both live life through all the trials, gas prices, etc. but the difference is that God is with us. He’s with me through everything.
4. See darkness as an opportunity to shine
– it’s easier to shrink back and be safe, but now it’s more important than ever to shine.
5. People are drawn to light (Isa. 60:3)
– people will go where there’s color, light, beauty, etc.
6. Get a fresh new vision (Isa. 60:4a)
– you don’t see the world as it is, but as you are
– 3 different people see the same thing 3 different ways
– it’s all about my outlook – how do I see God? how do I see my Life? You will follow the vision that you see.
7. Grow your attraction factor (Isa. 60:4b)
– people and children were drawn to Jesus, some Christians aren’t fun and attractive
8. Get an enthusiastic heart (Isa. 60:5a)
– whatever I do, I do it with my whole heart
– some Christians frown and still expect others to follow them
– 2 Cor. 5:9, no matter what’s going on around me, I will continue to praise God and be up.
9. Get an abundance mentality (Isa. 60:5b)
– there’s no lack with God
– it’s easy to focus on the darkness, instead of the abundance of God
– God is more than enough innovation, resources, creativity, etc.
10. Do all your shining for the glory of God
– Matt. 5:14-16, you shine to glorify God
– I can do anything with the help of God (Phil. 4:13)
Prov. 4:18-19, “The ways of right-living people glow with light; the longer they live, the brighter they shine. But the road of wrongdoing gets darker and darker – travelers can’t see a thing; they fall flat on their faces.” (The Message)