1 Peter 2:1-3
A. as newborn babes, desire the pure milk of the word (Ps. 42:1)
B. that you may grow thereby
– The word of God is necessary for the growth of the Christian. “To drink the milk of the Word is to ‘taste’ again and again what he is like, for in the hearing of the Lord’s words believers experience the joy of personal fellowship with the Lord himself.” (Grudem)
C. laying aside all malice, guile, hypocrisy, envy, and all evil speaking:
– malice: ill-will, desire to injure, depravity, wickedness that is not ashamed to break laws
– deceit: deceiving someone by concealing or misrepresenting the truth
– envy: a feeling of discontented or resentful longing aroused by someone else’s possessions, qualities, influence, etc. (Matt. 27:18)
– slander: evil speaking, defamation. This ancient greek word has more the idea of spicy, hurtful gossip than the idea of profane speech.
– You Are
1. Chosen by God – picked out (1 Peter 2:4)
2. Precious to Him – held in honor, prized (1 Peter 2:5)
3. Living stones
4. A Holy priesthood (1 Peter 2:6-8) – Jesus is the cornerstone of Psalm 118; the stumbling stone of Isaiah 8; the foundation stone of Isaiah 28; the supernatural stone of Daniel 2; and the rock that gave Israel water in the wilderness (1 Corinthians 10:4).
5. A chosen generation – picked out (1 Peter 2:9)
6. A royal priesthood
7. A special possession (1 Peter 2:10)
– So as a believer you understand:
– You are Chosen
– You have a new access to God through your royal priesthood
– You are under a new government as a Holy Nation
– You have a new owner as God’s own special people!
1 Peter 2:1-3